Top 10 Reasons for Becoming an SDEA Member
- Strength in unity: More than 8,000 local members, 340,000 statewide and 3.2 million nationwide.
- Voting rights. We control the destiny of our association.
- One million dollars in professional liability insurance.
- Professional and private legal consultations.
- Free financial planning through our endorsed service provider.
- No-cost life insurance through CTA and NEA, and discounted salary protection, car, life and homeowners’ insurance.
- The goodie packet with discount cards, discount movie passes and gift certificates.
- The professional publications from SDEA, CTA and NEA.
- Disaster relief contribution (Foundation to Assist California Teachers, FACT).
If you are a certified employee in San Diego Unified and haven’t signed a membership card (Organization Dues card), what are you waiting for? Call SDEA at 283-4411 for more information.
Membership is the Foundation
SDEA members have a voice in the decision making of our Association. This includes voting on a new contract, and electing officers and other governance representatives. Member input has helped new unit members adjust to the profession, to conditions in the District and to do outreach in the community for support of our schools. The Association is currently working on meaningful and effective educational reform. Teachers and other credentialed professionals are represented on District committees that affect our professional lives. These and many more activities are carried on by the San Diego Education Association. We welcome involvement from our more than 8,000 members.
SDEA has an Agency Fee provision in its Collective Bargaining Agreement with the San Diego City Schools. This means that everyone covered by the Agreement is either a member or a fee payer.
Members are also entitled to many benefits unavailable to fee payers. SDEA members receive the following services which are either not available to fee payers or available only for a fee:
- Shape and mold the Association through active participation
- Have the ability to influence with input and ideas
- Have voting rights to elect leaders, set policy, and ratify contracts
- Participate in trainings, workshops, and seminars
- $1 million professional liability insurance
- Legal services on both professional and private matters
- Life insurance
- Financial planning
- Discounted car/life/home insurances
- Salary protection
- Leisure/travel at reduced rates
- Low interest credit cards
- Disaster Relief contribution (FACT)
Note: To become an SDEA advertiser, download our 2012-2013 Advertising Packet. For more information, please contact Larry Moreno at the SDEA office.