Welcome to the SDEA Contract Resources page! SDEA members, this area is your one-stop shop for resources to help you organize your site and enforce the contract more effectively. Below you will find Know Your Rights! contract enforcement flyers, issue-specific FAQs, and other resources about your rights at work.
Know Your Rights!
Association Reps, are you familiar with your rights? Did you know that you are entitled to release time for processing grievances? Did you know that you can hold union meetings both outside and inside the work day? The key to a strong site is an informed AR! Make sure that you are holding your administrators accountable in order to best represent your members.
The evaluation process can be one of the most stressful experiences a teacher has during the course of the year — particularly if your principal isn’t doing his or her job properly. Teachers being evaluated this year, make sure you review the evaluation timeline on the flyer for the 2016-2017 school year and are familiar with evaluation procedures.
According to our contract, teachers can be required to attend a “reasonable” number of meetings. But how many meetings are reasonable? One staff meeting outside of your regularly scheduled work day per month is reasonable, but four are not. Make sure that your administrators are respecting your time.
Explore the complete Know Your Rights! archive below. If you have suggestions for future Know Your Rights! guides, please email your suggestions to a Contract Specialist.
- Know Your Rights – Association Rights – SEP 15
- Know Your Rights – Complaints – SEP 15
- Know Your Rights – Elementary Class Size – SEP 15
- Know Your Rights – Elementary Prep Time Teachers – OCT 15
- Know Your Rights – Elementary Preparation Time – SEP 15
- Know Your Rights – Emergency Class Coverage – SEP 15
- Know Your Rights – Evaluations SEP 16
- Know Your Rights – Excessing – SEP 15
- Know Your Rights – Family Care Leave SEP 15
- Know Your Rights – IEP Meetings FEB 16
- Know Your Rights – Long Term Leave – OCT 15
- Know Your Rights – Maternity Leave – MAR 16
- Know Your Rights – Meeting Attendance – SEPT 15
- Know Your Rights – Politics at Work – SEPT 15
- Know Your Rights – Preparation Time SEP 15
- Know Your Rights – Progressive Discipline – OCT 15
- Know Your Rights – Remediation Plans – SEP 15
- Know Your Rights – School Site Council – SEP 15
- Know Your Rights – Secondary Class Size – SEPT 15
- Know Your Rights – Secondary Preparation Time – SEP 15
- Know Your Rights – Short Term Leave – OCT 15
- Know Your Rights – Site Governance Team – SEP 15
- Know Your Rights – SLP Caseloads – APR 16
- Know Your Rights – Special Education – SEP 15
- Know Your Rights – Student Discipline AUG 15
- Know Your Rights – Teacher Prep Days – OCT 15
- Know Your Rights – Temporary Contracts – SEP 15
- Know Your Rights – Visiting Teachers – SEP 15
- Know Your Rights – Work Hours AUG 15
- Know Your Rights – Workload – SEP 15
- FAQ: Five-Year Evaluation
- FAQ: Political Action Committee
- FAQ: Prep Time Emphasis Changes
- FAQ: Secondary Schedule Change Votes
- FAQ: Social Media
- Surviving Roberts Rules of Order
- New Article 8 Work Hours Rights (2015)
- Enforcing Our Rights at Work through the Grievance Procedure
- Right to Union Representation
- Frequently Used MOUs and Other Agreements
- 1998 Board Policy – Site Governance
Members with questions about a possible contract violation should contact the site AR. If you believe your rights have been violated, work with your AR to initiate the grievance process at your site.